dinsdag 30 oktober 2012

Graceling - Kristin Cashore

Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)
Serie: Graceling Realm #1
Release date: 2008
Stars: 4/5 

His eyes, Katsa had never seen such eyes. One was silver, and the other, gold. They glowed in his sun-darkened face, uneven, and strange. She was surprised that they hadn't shone in the darkness of their first meeting. They didn't seem human.... Then he raised his eyebrows a hair, and his mouth shifted into the hint of a smirk. He nodded at her, just barely, and it released her from her spell. Cocky, she thought. Cocky and arrogant, this one, and that was all there was to make of him. Whatever game he was playing, if he expected her to join him he would be disappointed.

In a world where people born with an extreme skill - called a Grace - are feared and exploited, Katsa carries the burden of the skill even she despises: the Grace of killing. She lives under the command of her uncle Randa, King of the Middluns, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him.

When she first meets Prince Po, who is Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change. She never expects to become Po's friend. She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace - or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away...a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.


Wow how I enjoyed this book! I've been very busy lately so I hadn't had time to write a lot of reviews. But I'm going to make it up to you the next few weeks! So Graceling, it's been a while when I read this one, but I remember the story quite well. I just loved so much about this book, I don't even know where to start. The story is well writen, with very fun and interesting characters to read about.  Katsa, the main character, is a very strong female character. She's independent and has a fierce determination. I really like books where the female character isn't the damsel in distress and can't think of her own. I instantly liked her, but I didn't agree with her take on everything. Like how she sees mariage as a prison. Also, Kristin Cashore displayes eveyrthing girly as a bad thing, I don't agree with that. I think you can be a tough ass girl, but also wear dresses or make up. The other important character in Graceling, was Po. I really liked him! The reason for all of his jewelry wearing, was a very interesting story. Cashore suprised me with her talent for writing with the development of the love story between Po and Katsa. I wasn't a instant love thing, but it developed slowly. The story was sometimes predictable, but many other times not. Some scenes where kind of sad, while others where funny and loving. The ending was just right, not rushed like many other books. I'm just so much in love with this book! If you've not yet read Graceling, please do so immediately!

Geen opmerkingen: