woensdag 23 mei 2012

Halflings - Heather Burch

Halflings (Halflings, #1)Serie: Halflings #1 
Release date: 2012 

After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with.

A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world


After a while I decided to read this one. I didn't like the cover, but the story seemed pretty good. The main character is Nikki and I have to say that the beginning is really good. You fall right in a chase of hellhounds who are chasing Nikki. So it dragged your attention right to the story. Unfortunately the story dragged on and on after the chase. I didn't know the goal of the story and I could easily put the book away. Nikki is okay, can't really say something about her. She seems nice, but sometimes a bit annoying. Like the time she just barged into the house of the halflings. That came out of nowhere and was kind of rude. What I did like about her, was the fact that she didn't seem like the typical girl in YA books. She rides motercycles and knows karate. She meets three boys, the halflings and they are there to help her. Then there is the love triangle, I have to say I liked it in this story. There is Mace, the nice and cute one. Raven is the other one, he's the very very hot bad boy. I liked him, he acts like a though guy, but is different around Nikki. Then there is a brotherly moment between Mace and Raven, which was very sweet. I like the forbidden aspect in this book, that makes the romance kind of hard.  I liked the fact that the true evil was in a form of an attractive older man, in fact he's friends with Nikki's parents. I found him very intriguing and I wanted to know what his story was with Nikki. Unfortunately you don't learn much about him. Nikki decides he's wrong and runs to the halflings. The story ends kind of abrupting and very vague. It's the most abrupt and weird ending ever. I think everything will be explained in the next book, so I'm going to read that one. I liked the book, but it wasn't really memorable.

Geen opmerkingen: